Following the decision in May 1907 to build a pavilion, the project was not completed until 1920 (1) when it was sited between the Ebbw Vale Bowls Green and the machinery shed.
In the early 1930’s even though the depression showed no signs of abating, tenders were called for by the Ebbw Vale Welfare Association for the erection of a Cricket and Bowls Pavilion.
It was built with the aid of a £1900 grant from the Miners Welfare Fund. Because of the severe shortage of work, competition for the job was fierce, attracting tenders from 12 contractors in South East Wales. The highest was from J.E Jones of Pontllanfraith at £2150 and the lowest from Frank Hann of Ebbw Vale at £1793. The successful contractor was William Miles and Son of Ebbw Vale who tendered a price of £1832, excluding landscaping with plumbing undertaken by W Jones and electrics by Gibsons of Carphilly.
The building was completed in October 1932 and was officially opened for use in the 1933 season by Sir John Beynon, Chairman of the Ebbw Vale Company (7).
The four faced illuminated Pavilion Tower Clock was officially presented to the Ebbw Vale Welfare Association by Mr O.P.L Edwards (of Edwards Department Store) on Wednesday 8th June 1955.
The Cricket Club opened a licensed bar in the kitchen in 1975. Improvements were made to the facilities with additional dressing rooms and the present bar in the 1980’s.
September 2007 saw construction work begin on a second bowling green for the R.T.B (Ebbw Vale) Bowls Club. They had to move from behind the General Offices to provide facilities for the 2010 National Eisteddfod and for future development of the Works site.
The new green was completed by June 2008 which led to the construction of an extension to the Pavilion between December 2008 and September 2009 in time for the 2010 season.
The magnificent double bowls pavilion and surrounds (£680,000) was built by S.C Moore (Newport) with electrics installed by C&F Electrics of Ebbw Vale. The development was supported by the Welsh Assembly Government and officially opened by Councillor Brian Morgan, Mayor of Blaenau Gwent 28th May 2010.
The Ebbw Vale Cricket Club’s pavilion hospitality has long been held in high regard and 1871 the local paper reported that the cricket club “provided a sumptuous supper” for its opponents after the game (7). This tradition has continued to the present time with written congratulations and gifts being received from the Glamorgan, Northants and Middlesex county clubs among others. Many of these artefacts are on display in the pavilion.